Thursday, June 2, 2011

Whats the best way to learn how to work on vintage cars?

I know the basics, can change my own oil, changed a water pump, starter, battery, etc...but now I want to restore my 1972 ford F100 and I dont know really where to start. The truck runs good EXCEPT for the following: the carberator needs to be changed, valve cover gaskets and possibly some on the engine block need to be changed as they look like they are disinigrating and half rotted away. I might at some point want to change the engine completely putting in a 351 cleveland. I also might want to add to the rear end speed so it is faster in general ( I dont even know if I said that right) so forgive me if I sound totally green here. Basically I am approaching 40, getting divorced and need a hobby. I have always wanted to restore an old vehicle so I am going to dive into this completely, just dont know where to start. Any help would be very appriciated, thanks!Whats the best way to learn how to work on vintage cars?You can start in learn how to tune the carb. ie set idle, idle fuel mixture, choke. Maybe learn to rebuild one. Check your local library for the automotive books.



Next learn the distributor and timing. Actually if you can get rid off the points/condenser and change to electronic that would be the best thing to do. Never to have to deal with it again. Save money too, bc no need to buy a dwell meter or timing light(well rarely needed).



Working on cars/truck is all about the tools. Don't have the right tools, can't work on it.Whats the best way to learn how to work on vintage cars?Go down to a quality book store and grab some books and glance through them all and gain a little info at a time. Sounds boring. I thought it would be, but I actually enjoyed sitting down and learning about what I truly enjoy. Also, I'm 17, so if that doesn't say anything, then I don't know what will, hahaWhats the best way to learn how to work on vintage cars?Start the way of thinking : vintage, modern car, it's all same how to work. The different is technology, more brain and mental is work then computer, fragile and or rare parts. The rest is same, to get trouble shooting is same, only part place and how to do it is the different. Unless you try to build vintage, meanwhile your days work is starfleet officer, it's all totally different. Start read book of Haynes or Chilton, read magazine, and article is a good start. Even better if you can make relation to mechanic or society.

No comments:

Post a Comment