Monday, November 22, 2010

2001 Chevy S10: Replacing both intake manifold and valve cover gasket?

Hello,



My engine is a V6 4.3L about 180,000 miles. The coolant is leaking from the intake manifold gasket, so my mechanic told me to change it. Now, he tells me I should change ALSO the valve cover gasket. Is it easy to change the valve cover gasket while changing the intake manifold gasket?

How much additional money should I expect to pay?



Should I just have to pay the cost of the valve cover gasket? Or also some labor cost to putting in?



About how much more labor to put it in?



If I don't change the valve cover gasket now, about how much much will it cost to change in the future? I'm not loosing much oil. It is seeping a bit, I think. I don't mind checking the oil and refilling if needed (good or bad idea?). Please advice. Thank you!2001 Chevy S10: Replacing both intake manifold and valve cover gasket?Personally, I would also change the valve cover gaskets at the same time. It shouldn't cost more than 20 bucks for the gaskets. In order to change the valve cover gaskets, its only 12 more bolts. They take the bolts out, slide the covers off, scrape (if necessary) the old gaskets, put the new ones one, and put the covers back on and put the bolts back in. It is really simple to do. I've done a few of them helping my dad in the garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment